We're now into the second week of The Great British Bake Off. Last week we released the Vanilla Custard Traybake recipe as it was voted the most popular on our socials.
This week's winner was a close one, but it was Jam Tarts!
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 175g plain flour, keep extra aside for dusting
- 85g cubed butter, cooled in the fridge
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 125g Jam flavour of your choice
- Pour the flour and add the butter in a large bowl, rubbing together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolk with the vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of cold water. Then pour the mixture into the bowl.
- Stir it through with a cutlery knife, then bring the dough together with your hands – be careful not to overwork the dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 mins.
- Heat the oven to gas 6, 200˚C, fan 180˚C. Dust the work surface lightly with flour and roll your pastry out until it is roughly the thickness of a pound coin. Use a 8cm pastry cutter to stamp out 12 pastry discs.
- Place the discs in a 12-hole cake tin. Then spoon 1-2 tsp of your chosen jam into each tart.
- Bake for 15 mins until the pastry is golden and the jam is bubbling. Allow to cool for a few mins before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
We believe that biscuits are best served with English Breakfast Tea.
Get involved in our future polls by following our Instagram here, and don't forget to tag us in your creations!