Us Brits love to bake, but do you have what it bakes to be a Star Baker? We took it to our Instagram to let you vote for which cake recipe you wanted us to share with you. Vanilla Custard Traybake was this weeks winner!
This Vanilla Custard Traybake will have you reminiscing of you lining up in the school canteen at lunchtime, to be presented with a slice of this sugary treat.
On your marks, get set, BAKE!
Vanilla Custard Traybake
- 200g softened unsalted butter
- 200g white caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 76g instant custard powder
- 225g sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp hundreds & thousands
- 1 tsp rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven 180 °C, gas 4, fan 160°C. With non-stick baking paper grease and line a 20cm square cake tin. In a mixing bowl using an electric whisk, mix the sugar, butter and vanilla extract until light and fluffy for around 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs one after the other, whilst whisking. If you find the mixture starting to split, add in 1-2 tbsp of flour. With a metal spoon, fold in the remaining flour and custard mixture until combined. Pour the mixture into the tin and leave to bake for 40 minutes. Check whether the mixture is baked properly by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake, if the skewer is comes out clean then its done. Leave in the tin to cool for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
- For the decoration, mix the icing sugar with 1-2 tbsp boiling water, 1 tsp at a time, in order to make it thick, and ready to pour. Spoon the icing over the cake, using the back of the spoon to smooth the icing into the edges. Shake the sprinkles all over the cake and cut into 16 square pieces to serve. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Cake is always best served with Tea, we'd recommend an Afternoon Tea as it's ideal for drinking later in the day.
Get involved in our future polls by following our Instagram here, and don't forget to tag us in your creations!